Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sincerely a Graduate

It's been one month since I've graduated from Brigham Young University. Wow! It's hard to believe I've transitioned from an excitable freshman to a (somewhat) more mature twenty-three year old. I'll miss BYU dearly, and I know I'll cherish these memories. My mind has been expanded intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, and grammatically : ). I can't really sum up all the memories, but here is a picture for every year, in order:





The last picture is from my graduation! (The lei is from my dad, by my request.) My dad came out to Utah for a week to watch me walk. My dad, my siblings, their spouses, and I had a fun week together. They came for commencement and convocation, a two-day ceremony celebration.

Since I graduated in August, it was incredibly hot under my robe. I literally saw a bead of sweat roll down my leg as I was riding back to my apartment. Luckily, we went up to Sundance, a much cooler place, that night to watch the play Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. It was so amazing! We watched it in an outdoor amphitheater:

We were way up high, so my little nephew Jordan nearly rolled down the hill onto the stage before his mother caught him. I guess that's what happens when you're bundled up in an adult-size sweater and you resemble a pink marshmallow.

Anyway, so convocation was the next day, and after getting in so late the night before, do you know what I did? I slept over my alarm! All I did was get in my clothes and robe, grab a granola bar, and book it to the Marriott. Luckily, my hair looked okay from the day before and I was so tired I didn't take off my makeup, so I didn't bother with it. My secret's out ; ).

I made it there in good time and I had another lovely ceremony. I loved the speakers, including YM Pres. David Beck, and it was really satisfying to hear my name being called out by my old American Heritage professor from freshman year. What are the odds?

We concluded the experience by going to Tucanos in SLC. That place is so delicious! I love the cheesy bread and the lemonade, as well as all the regular staples. I was truly spoiled and truly stuffed. Speaking of being spoiled, I should mention that I unexpectedly received a graduation gift from my parents. I didn't know this before, but they give a grad gift that relates to their kid's post-grad life. And do you know what they gave me money for? A Kindle! They said I could use it for going into publishing, and this was what I wanted for Christmas anyway. I think I'll get a Kindle Touch, which seems to be the best fit for what I want :).

Well, that's enough reminiscing (and bragging) about graduation. I feel very blessed and very relieved that I finally made it out of BYU. They've been an amazing five years, and I couldn't have imagined a better school to go to. I anxiously anticipate the next chapter of my life. I'll definitely keep y'all posted.

Sincerely,

A Graduate

No comments:

Post a Comment