My last two classes were pretty awesome, particularly Literature for Adolescents. Basically, over the course of a term (which is about six-ish weeks), we read twenty young adult books. If you do the math, you would realize that's three and a half books that we were required to read--by week! Somehow, I managed to read all of them. (Just don't ask me to remember any of the details of some of these books!) It was like being part of an intense book club--we would come to class and discuss these works and then write papers here and there. Despite the workload, I had a pretty good time learning about current YA reads. I'm a reader, what can I say?
I've decided that, before this class, I was kind of a slacker when it came to reading. Because of classes and other things that consumed my time, I generally wouldn't think to open up a book for leisure. It's funny I did this considering how much I love to read and I give so much credit to literature for shaping and reflecting us as human beings. And after reading roughly three books per week, I feel I can keep my reading regimen up.
I've made it my goal to read one book a week. These books I'm going to read are my choices and can be any reading level. I've already checked out The Alchemist today and I'm forty-two pages into it. I'm likin' it so far. Did you know it's the biggest bestseller in Brazilian literacy history? Wham. That's huge. I discovered it through Goodreads, something I signed up for months ago and forgot about until now. And to keep myself honest, I'm installing this little widget right here:
Anyway, while I'm finishing up my summer and doing my job hunt, I figure I need a decent distraction to avoid the madness of the waiting game. I'm thinkin' this will be a good use of my time and will help me be a better editor. So with that said, I'll sign off with the usual
Sincerely,
Sabra
UPDATE:
I did this challenge for about six weeks, and it was very successful. I read books that I'd been craving to read for a while, so I was really glad I did it! However, it did get intense after a little while, so I called it quits then. (I tend to bite off more than I can chew, unfortunately.) I've revised my goal to one or two books every couple of weeks. Right now, it's Secret Life of the Bees. Anyway, that's my reading life. Until later!
-A Reader

Do you remember what some of the books were you had to read for your Literature for Adolescents class? I wish they offered a class similar to that at DSU, perhaps with not as much to read, ha ha! I have really slacked on my reading also. I try to read a little from a book every night, but I don't read nearly as often as I did in high school. You have inspired me to do better!
ReplyDelete