Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sincerely Craftsy

Welp, after a little urging, I finally decided to post something. I did something domestic--without any help! This is quite an accomplishment for someone like me. I made a quillow completely on my own. The only resource I used were measurements I looked up on the Internet. For everything else, I relied on domestic prowess and my memory from my senior year in Young Women's. Oh, and I did it all in one night, and I hand-stitched it (no sewing machine available). ; ). In case you are wondering, a quillow is a half blanket, half pillow. Little kids especially like them, but they can be used for anyone who needs a small pillow or a blanket with a pouch at the end. They are super- asy to make--they only require a yard of fleece with another fabric (preferably fleece) to be sewn on top of it. I added my own innovations, such as the button to fasten the loose fabric on the back and the handle (thank you, Pinterest, for your inspiration). I picked out the fabric from this place on Center Street. Isn't it cute?
Anyway, for those of you who might be curious, here's how a quillow is folded: 1. Flip the blanket over so the pouch faces the floor, if it's not already like that. Fold one vertical side over so that side lines up with the other side of the pouch.
2. Fold the opposite side over. The whole blanket should align with the pouch on the other side.
3. Flip the blanket over so the pouch faces up. Fold the blanket in half. Do that again. Then tuck the square shape into the pouch.
4. Voila! Complete. Admire your handiwork and tote that thing around like it's nobody's business.
Anyway, I thought I would share that after presenting it at my sister's baby shower. Yes, the quillow's meant for my sister's little baby boy, who is coming in June! I'm excited to be an aunt again, for the fifth time. I'm hoping he'll have a fun baby blanket he can use until he grows out of it. I remember having a matching Care Bears blanket and pillow when I was little. I think I must have used it until....well, forever! I'm keeping the quillow now so I can embroider his initials on it once we know his name. I think my sister liked it, and it was fun to see all the uses we could think of for it (i.e. bag, nursing blanket, apron, baby carrier, etc.) Anyway, just wanted to brag and show off my creation. Let me know your thoughts. Until next time... Sincerely, Sabra

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I've never heard of a quillow before. Is it held shut with a button or Velcro? Is there an extra pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! I could NEVER make something like this! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete